Latest News And Area
- The Fontana Police Department recently purchased 4 new Taser Axon Body Cameras. Officers will now be wearing cameras on their uniforms to record contacts with individuals, gather evidence for court, and reduce liability.
- Congratulations to Officer Derrick Goetsch. Officer Goestch recently completed his course to become an EMT with the Village of Fontana EMS.
- As The 4th of July Approaches, We would like to remind everyone that the use and discharge of ANY fireworks inside the Village of Fontana is Strictly Prohibited. From the State of Wisconsin Statues: "Fireworks" means anything manufactured, processed or packaged for exploding, emitting sparks, or combustion which does not have another common use"
- Residents are limited to holding 3 garage sales in one calendar year.
- Congratulations to Marissa Salas! Marissa has been hired as our Community Service Officer (CSO) for the 2014 season.
- The Fontana Police Department has joined The Suburban Mutual Assistance Response Teams (SMART). This will provide an enhanced coordinated response by law enforcement to major incidents in a three county area.
- The Fontana Police Department received a grant from the Department of Transportation to buy new traffic safety equipment. Grants like this provide the department with new equipment and saves the community money.
Anonymous Tip System
The Village of Fontana Police Department is partnering with the Walworth
County Crime Stoppers to bring an anonymous tip system called TipSoft to the Village of Fontana. TipSoft will allow community
members to anonymously provide tips to the Village of Fontana Police Department
either online or by text message.
Those wishing to provide a tip by text message will be able to do so by
sending a text to 274637 (CRIMES) with the agency keyword “TIP4WC” and an
attached message. Tips will also be able to be sent online by clicking on
the “Submit a Tip” TipSoft link that will be found below as well as the Village
of Fontana Police Department’s Facebook page. Once the tip is submitted it will
be sent to the Walworth County Sheriff’s Office where it will be sorted and
then directed to the Village of Fontana Police Department.
We look forward to receiving your tips, but remember if there is an
emergency, always dial 911 so that Police and Emergency Services can respond as
quickly as possible!
Submitting a tip using a cell phone:
- Text your tip to 274637
- Start your message with the
agency keyword “TIP4WC” (agency key word) plus your message. Standard
rates may apply.
Submitting a tip using the web:
- Click on this Submit
a Tip link.
- Fill out the form and submit
your crime tip.
Tips submitted through these methods are encrypted, entirely confidential,
completely anonymous, and are immediately and securely transmitted.
If you need police attention, please call the Village of Fontana Police
Department directly at (262) 275-2275 (Emergency 911). If you would like
to report information anonymously, you may call (262) 275-2275 or contact Crime
P.O. Box 33
City/State/Zip: Elkhorn, WI 53121
Tip Line: (800) 242-7463
Fax: (262) 741-4616
- The Wisconsin Attorney General's Office had a press release today advising that AMBER Alerts can now be found on Twitter by following @Amberalert.
- Ransonware Malware Infections - A new type of computer virus is starting to
show up more frequently. Your computer will lock up with a warning from a
government agency, such as the FBI, DOJ, or other Law Enforcement agency,
stating that you have illegal items on your computer. It gives you the
option to pay a fine and unlock your computer or you will be arrested. A
Law Enforcement Agency will NEVER contact you about a possible violation in this
manner. If this happens to you, immediately disconnect your computer from
the internet and turn the power off. If you have another computer or
device that has internet access you may be able to search for a solution and
remove the virus yourself. IF this is not an option, please contact an IT
professional to remove it for you. For more information a link has been
added to our "links" page, or you can access it
- The WI
Statewide VINE system is a service through which victims of crime can use the
telephone or Internet to search for information regarding the custody status of
their offender and to register to receive telephone and e-mail notification when
the offender’s custody status changes. The VINE toll-free number for the WI
Statewide VINE system is 888-868-4631. This service is provided to assist
Victims of Crime who have a right to know about their offender's custody status.
HERE to visit the site.
- PAY TO
PARK - All parking meters have been replaced with Pay to Park stations in
the lake front area. If you do not have a current village sticker displayed on
the driver's side of your windshield and you park in any of the lots or in
marked stalls on Third or High Streets you must make payment at one of the four
pay stations. Pay stations are located in Lot 3 on Third Street, at the
intersection of Third and High Streets and at both ends of Lot #1 by the
beach. Parking is checked between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM seven days a week
including holidays. If you wish to contest a parking citation you must make a
written request to the PD within 10 business days for a hearing.
BEWARE - CONTRACTOR FRAUD: The FPD is currently investigating several
complaints about contractors who may have violated criminal laws by defrauding
homeowners when they failed to deliver promised goods or services. These are
difficult cases to investigate and prosecute criminally since in some situation
what has happened is a civil matter between the contractor and the homeowner. We
strongly encourage our citizens to check out any contractor they are considering
employing. Do they have a permanent business address you can visit? Can the
contractor show proof of insurance? Are they licensed by the state? Can they
provide you with references? Be wary of anyone who answers these questions with
a no. Do not give cash for down payments and ask for a receipt when you do pay.
You can also check a potential contractor for any pending or past civil/criminal
court cases on the CCAP on our links page.
AND CON MEN: Recently one of our citizens fell victim to an overseas lottery
scam. The citizen had received mail which told her she had won the Australian
Lottery for 6.5 million dollars. The con artists convinced her that the winnings
were hers if she would pay various taxes and fees. She ended up sending over
$200,000.00 to a bogus firm in England. Remember
the old adage " If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is to good to be
true". Help us protect others from falling prey, call us immediately when you think
someone is trying to scam you or a friend.
- MYSTATEUSA.COM NOTIFICATIONS:
Law enforcement agencies in Walworth County have a unique
tool that allows them to notify the public of special situations by phone. This
is how the system works. If there is a unique incident in Fontana such as a
missing child, the FPD will have the 911 center activate what is know as the
MYSPACEUSA.COM system. A recorded message will be made describing the child and any
other information. The dispatch center will then program into the system the
area to be notified which could be as small one city block or as large as the
whole county. That message will then will be sent to every phone number in the
designated area. If you answer the phone you will hear the caller identified as
the 911 Center and then the message or it will be left on your answering
- PHONE SCAMS
- If you are called by someone claiming to work for a bank even if it is
your bank do not give out any personal or banking information. No legitimate bank
will call you to ask you for your account info, social security number or other
personal information. Sometimes the caller will claim they are conducting an
investigation into illegal activity at the bank and your assistance in providing
the information is needed. If you are called tell them nothing an call the